ABET has a long history of global engagement with the overarching goal of promoting and improving the quality of technical education worldwide. ABET supports improving the quality of technical education worldwide in a number of ways:
- provides assistance in the development and continuous improvement of national accrediting systems via Memoranda of Understanding (MOU);
- participates in the mutual recognition of accrediting systems via Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRA);
- provides general assistance and training through workshops, seminars, and conference participation;
- recognizes the substantial equivalency of academic programs;
- directs the accreditation of academic programs by ABET outside of the U.S.
All of these activities support ABET’s mission of providing world leadership in assuring quality and in stimulating innovation in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology education.